Al Jazeera report on YES Erbil 2017
Welcome to the YES Academy Erbil 2019. Join us as we celebrate our 13th year of the YES Academy!
The YES Academy 2019 will combine last year’s Hip Hop and Music programs into one program encompassing Break Dance, Hip Hop Dance, Hip Hop Lyrics / Music Production, Orchestra, Chamber Music, Private Lessons, and Composition. YES Academy will take place in Erbil at the Fig Club and at the Institute of Fine Arts from Sunday July 14 to Thursday July 25, 2019. We will meet daily with the exception of Fridays.
Our Faculty and Staff:
- Eric Parker Hip Hop Music Production
- Fabian ‘Farbeon’ Saucedo Hip Hop Music Production and Performance, New York University
- Rick Camargo Break Dance, Houston, HaviKoro Crew
- Toyin Segunro Hip Hop Dance, Washington, DC, Urban Artistry
- Carlos Botero Conductor, Houston Symphony
- Greg Cardi Violin, University of Illinois
- Cassandra Bequary Violin, Vancouver Symphony Orchestra
- Kim Mai Nguyen Viola, M.M Julliard School, Portland Symphony Orchestra
- Avery Waite Cello, M.M Julliard School
- Jamie Whitmarsh Composition
- Yasha Hoffman Composition
- John Ferguson Founder, Executive Director, Pianist
- Alan Alyas Program Manager, Violinist, American Voices
- Bashdar Ahmad Program Manager, Music
- Mohammed Khoshnaw Program Manager, Hip Hop
Concerts and Battles
- Wednesday July 24 – Performance at Institute of Fine Arts 1pm
- Thursday July 25 - Performance by Festival Strints and Third Annual Unbreakable All-Styles Dance Battle at Family Mall 6pm.
- Workshops with IDP children and refugees will also be organized and announced before the start of the Academy
Thanks to support from American Voices’ donors and the U.S. Embassy-Baghdad and the U.S. Consulate-Erbil, this is a free program.
American Voices has limited funding from the U.S. Embassy to provide housing, transportation to Erbil and meals for participants from outside Erbil. If you want to participate in the YES Erbil 2019, you may APPLY starting March 1.
In 2019, everyone must submit an application to attend the program, even if you attended the YES Academy program before. You must submit a short video to audition for the program along with your online application. If you are an alumni, be sure to list the year(s) that you have attended the YES Academy in the past.
All who submit auditions online must do so before July 1, 2019. All online applicants will be informed by phone by July 6 if they have been accepted.
Housing, Transportation, Meals and Scholarships:
- For all: This program is tuition-free.
- We have limited funding support to help cover bus travel to Erbil (by air if from Basra), shared hotel rooms and a small per diem for meals. Breakfast is included in your hotel stay.
- Female participants are encouraged to apply.
- Only participants 18 years or older are eligible for housing and meals support.
- Participants under 18 years requesting housing and meals must be accompanied by a parent, older brother or sisteror teacher. The guardian must be approved in advance by the administration.
Self-funded Participants from Outside Erbil: Participants from outside Erbil who are accepted into the program, but did not receive a scholarship, may attend the program if they cover their own hotel, meals and transportation.
Contact Numbers of Managers:
If you have any questions please contact the appropriate Program Manager:
Hip Hop and Dance: Mohammed Khoshnaw
Phone/WhatsApp: + 964 750 851 1425
Music: Bashdar Ahmad
Phone/whatsapp: +964 770 158 6387
Facebook:Please like/join YESAcademyErbil
Please tell your friends and teachers about this year’s Academy. We look forward to seeing you in July.
John Ferguson, Director
Telephone: +961 76 592 984