Do you have a passion for rapping. singing, beatboxing or producing music? Do you love Hip Hop? Would you like to make art your profession? To be a professional Hip Hop artist today, one must be a musician, performer, entrepreneur, activist and teacher. During this 12-day Hip Hop musical boot camp, aspiring emcees/poets, singers, beatboxers and music producers will learn what it means to be a professional artist who takes their artistic and business acumen to the next level.
This workshop series will be a crash-course in the crafts of song-writing, beat-production, audio-engineering and performance. Participants will:
- Learn about Hip Hop's historical and cultural foundations.
- Collaborate across linguistic and cultural borders with fellow participants to create new artistic material. Organize and participate in a culminating performance with the other artistic sections of the YES Academy program.
- Develop a personal business plan that will lay the foundation for future personal and professional success.
Special synergies will be created when the languages and dialects of the ten member nations of ASEAN converge in Jakarta for these 12 days of learning, creating, collaborating and improvising. Be prepared to work, share--and yes, be prepared to FREESTYLE!
* Participants from age 18 to 24 will be chosen for the program based on their talent, motivation and potential. Students younger than 18 (provided they have housing and transportation in Jakarta) and over 24 may be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
* Please plan to participate in the ASEAN Cabaret performances where you will combine elements of your local and national cultures with your artistic craft.
10:00 – 11:30 - Opening cipher, improv activities, vocal and freestyle technique
11:30 – 13:30 - Field research, lunch, business workshops
13:30 – 14:30 - Song-writing, lyric translation, recording prep
14:30 – 17:30 - Studio recording, performance technique, rehearsal
17:30 – 18:00 - Final share, closing cipher
World-renowned artist and activist Farbeon (Hip Hop Re:Education Project, Freestyle Mondays NYC) returns to YES ASEAN for the second year in a row!
Whether on stage, in the recording booth, in the classroom or behind a camera Farbeon brings a community-based approach to the creative process that has inspired young and old throughout the United States and abroad for 15+ years. He has has independently released 5 records, has consistently toured internationally since 2008 and his performance range includes the use of loop stations, effects pedals and live computer production.
Farbeon has overseen both virtual and real-world cultural exchanges between young Hip Hoppers in NYC, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Berlin, Barcelona, Seoul and throughout Southeast Asia. This modern-day Griot is ultimately dedicated to maintaining and supporting the development of genuine hip-hop culture and community to bring about dialogue and understanding and to pave the way for the next generation of young Hip Hop ARTivists.