Welcome to the YES Academy 2016!
This year we will meet in Erbil at the Institute of Fine Arts, from August 21 to 31. This is a free program.
Our Program, will meet Daily except Friday from 8am to 1pm:
- Youth Orchestra
- Young Professionals Orchestra
- Chamber Music
- Woodwinds – Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet
- Composition and Arranging
- Intro to Jazz and Jazz Band
- Teacher Training
- Music Business and Entrepreneurship Seminars
- Unstoppable: Breakdance
John Ferguson, Pianist and Executive Director
Derek Beckvold, Saxophonist, Woodwinds, Jazz, Music Business, Entrepreneurship, Global Music Institute, New Delhi
Dr. Reuben Blundell, Hunter College, New York City: Conducting, Chamber Music, Violin
Kim Mai Nguyen, Viola, Oregon Symphony Orchestra, M.M Julliard School
Avery Waite, Cello, Oregon Symphony Orchestra, M.M Julliard School
Dr. Bryan Hall, Violin, The University of Alaska
Haleem Rasul AKA Stringz, Break Dance, Hard Core Dance Company, Detroit
If you want to participate in the YES Academy 2016, APPLY NOW places are limited for each program.
Alumni of our previous YES Academy programs do not need to audition for the program, but are required to apply online.
New students in our music programs will need to either audition live on the morning of Monday August 22 at 9am at the Institute of Fine Arts, Erbil or submit a 2-3 minute video posted on YouTube as part of your application. Those auditioning online will be notified by phone and by email by August 18 if they have been accepted.
Festival Concerts by faculty and the gala closing concert will take place as follows during the week of August 21-31 on Institue of Fine Arts, Erbil.
- Faculty Recital August 30 at 7 pm
- YES Closing Concert, August 31 at 7 pm
Housing, Transportation, Meals and Scholarships:
1) Tuition to the program is free.
2) We will offer a bed in the Mondeal Hotel in Erbil to 40 participants
3) We will pay for breakfast (provided by the hotel) and a simple lunch (sandwich + pepsi + chips)
4) We will reimburse gas expenses to anyone who drives AND bring at least 2, preferably 3, other participants with them. We will
reimburse bus / taxi service expenses to those who cannot come in their or someone else’s car. At this point there is NO BUDGET
for people from Baghdad or Basra unless they come by bus.
5) If someone wants a scholarship they must send a link to a short video or audio file.
6) Erbil Residents: are all welcome. You may audition on the first day of class: We cannot pay for any local transportation or meals.
7) Self-funded: if there is someone from outside Erbil who we did not accept for a scholarship who can stay with friends or family in
Erbil, pay their own meals and transportation they can attend self-funded.
If you have any questions please contact us on our YES Academy Facebook page!
Contact Numbers of Managers:
Please tell your friends and teachers about this year’s Festival. We look forward to seeing you in August.